Thursday, November 15, 2007

Vet suicides on the rise



Vet suicides are on the rise a CBS study shows. As a former Marine I know of the stresses that our military has to go through. And when I returned home from my deployment I was definitely changed for the rest of my life.

Paul Rieckhoff, a former Marine and founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans for America:

"Not everyone comes home from the war wounded, but the bottom line is nobody comes home unchanged"


Now my problems are probably no where near as bad as these Vets but it's been no picnic either. And i'm sure my wife can definitely agree to that. My problems range from mild to severe Panic and Anxiety attacks. Something that has changed
me forever.

For the first year or two I had issues staying awake, I'd stay awake for four hours then fall asleep for another four, this went on for about two weeks straight.

I also felt like I was dying in one form or another every day. All my senses seemed to be turned on to max. So if I was ill, it felt like I had the plague. If I had a heart flutter, it felt like I was about to have a heart attack. The list goes on.

I have been given medication for this problem and I have gotten better since
the first times coming home. But I don't always use the medication. I don't want
to be dependant on a drug. That's not how I'm supposed to be.

God bless our troops and I hope all of them manage to cope with the struggles
we have to put up with. I love every single one of you.

No comments: